Friday 23 March 2012

No signal!!

Last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I met my Master's Photography colleagues on an awayday weekend for some photography. I set up this blog in order to record it but on arriving at Hartington Hall Youth Hostel found there was no signal and trying to log in to their internet (for a considerable fee!) was a nightmare! So, I was unable to record my thoughts.

We arrived on the Sunday and took dinner there which was really very enjoyable. I cant believe it, the rooms were en suite! I haven't been in a Youth Hostel for over 10 years but was impressed by the level of service and facilities at this, their flagship hostel. It was an absolutely fabulous base for photography.

On Monday we went to a local farm which started off well-with tea or coffee-priorities! Then we watched a short film of the organic produce which is sent to local schools. After this we went to look at some Hereford cattle ( a beautiful animal) which was fed as we took pictures of them. A wander down the lane passing the granite scupture of one of these beasts took us to a large field with sheep which hadnt lambed up to that point. The scenery was fabulous and I got a few shots even though I was shooting into the sun.

We then ambled over to another barn with more Hereford cows (a beef herd) and met with one of the farmer's hands and his dog-naturally a Collie-and an obedient one at that.

After this we drifted to the River Dove which served as a boundary to part of his land and we looked at a fishing cottage from the 19th century built for an eminent literary writer of the time. We took a few shots, the weather was bright and I got a really good composition of the distant landscape.

After this we made our way back then headed for Hartington village itself.

At the village we fulfilled our reservation at the local pub for lunch where good pub fayre and beer were served and enjoyed. The afternoon project was to go around the village creating a story. My colleagues asked local people to become involved but I didnt have the guts for that so i made a circuitous route around the top end of the town taking pictures of what was on the route. It started with a 20th century well. Beyond this was the Vicarage and interestingly there was a set of steps outside the walls of the house that presumably the pastor would have ascended in order to mount his horse-it was really interesting, especially the fact that they were still there! A little up the road was an 'Old Dame School' which caused some discussion at the Show and Tell in the evening back at the hostel. Beyond this was the church and the village hall. Coming back into the village I noted and imaged several houses with a date of the 18th century on them along with the initials of the owner or builder of the houses. In one of the windows of the houses was a modern hand written sign reminiscent of domestic economies of yesteryear-that of the availability of free range eggs from the owner. This then brought me back to the well and the village duck pond.

Considering I only had an hour to do this I thought it was ok for the time spent in the village. I havent got the confidence to go asking people if I can take their pictures doing things.

Back at the Hostel in the evening and the Chinese students were to cook a very delicious spicy authentic Chinese meal! It was brilliant and the range of foods very varied.

On the next day-Tuesday-we had a very informal lecture from a colleague of the course leader who informed us of the geology of the area and very interesting it turned out to be too. He told us about the geological history of the area and how the surface layers were eroded away millions of years ago which is why there was no chalk areas locally.

After this we headed out to Wetton Dale and what a stunning place it was! I am sure it will look better when the stark trees have their spring dressing of leaves on it. I was impressed by the fact that the trail we followed was the old milk train line where milk was obtained from cows in the hills and transported along trains along the valley to Thors Cave where a station would have been situated many years ago but sadly, is now no longer there. It also followed a dry river bed, but maybe not so dry, as the knowledgeable man of geology said the water now ran beneath this stony bed, the water having discovered a sink hole beneath the surface rocks.

After this we went into Bakewell for a little shopping and R and R. After the obligatory Cream Tea I went to the river where I found an obliging tree in flower and a wonderful weeping willow on which to practice infrared exposures.

I duly set up and removed my light meter and proceded to meter and record the images making check images without a filter-exposing the film normally every 5-10 exposures so it would be easier to follow what I had done on the negatives when I get them back. Thanks to a colleague student who wanted to know how to use the meter I realised the meter was set to 'Battery Check'. I wondered why the readings didnt change much with the prevailing changes in light! I still had 5 frames left and did the best I could with what I had left of the film and also with the meter properly set. As it turns out the exposures were only one E.V. out so it may not be so bad.

Meanwhile, back at the Hostel it was the turn of the other students and staff to create dinner-largely Italian with and English pudding flavour of ice cream and cheese and biscuits with grapes. We had spag bol and that was really good too!

After dinner we showed our best image of the day after my tutors showed me how to work the 5x4 camera I had loaned out from the camera library/camera store. I still havent used it and I am still looking forward to using it. I just need good light and a good landscape!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, comments always welcome-especially constructive ones!